Federal Law No. 207-FZ "On Amendments to the Federal Law "On the Legal Status of Foreign Citizens in the Russian Federation"" was signed and published on 28 June 2022.
The Federal Law brings in the following simplifications to the rules for obtaining immigration documents for foreign citizens who are specialists in the field of information technology and have concluded an employment or civil contract for the performance of work/services with an organization operating in the IT field that, in its turn, has been duly accredited in the Russian Federation (not applicable to the organizations that are residents of a technology and innovation special economic zone):
- Issue of a permanent residence permit without the need to obtain a temporary residence permit of Russia
- Issue of a permanent residence permit without the need to obtain a temporary residence permit for family members of foreign citizens of the category concerned (spouse, children (including adopted), spouses of children, parents (including adoptive), spouses of parents, grandparents, grandchildren)
- The right to work in Russia without obtaining a work permit and/or immigration patent
- The right of an employer to hire foreign citizens without obtaining a permit for the engagement and use of foreign employees.
The Federal Law also establishes that the residence permit of a foreign citizen of the category concerned will be annulled in the following cases:
- if, within 30 work days of the termination of employment or civil contract, the foreign citizen does not conclude a new contract with an accredited IT organization
- if the accreditation of the IT organization is annulled.
We are monitoring the situation and will keep you informed of any further developments in the law.